Translate

3D Animation Storyboards: GI JOE: VALOR vs. VENOM


The follow-up to Reel FX Creative Studios' production of GI Joe: Spytroops (which I posted about here), was GI Joe: Valor vs. Venom.  Reel FX was progressing in their efforts to raise themselves up to the next significant level by proving they can handle a feature-length film.  However, as we had the terrible five-month killer deadline with Spytroops, that deadline was kind of repeated.  Whereas Spytroops was a 44-minute movie done in five months' time, Valor vs. Venom's deadline was basically doubled.  Still an incredibly tight deadline, we were assigned to produce an 80-minute movie in just under a year.

When Hasbro's execs were visiting Reel FX before production began on Valor vs. Venom, Director Dale Carman took a break from their meeting to come to me and ask, "How long would it take for you to do the first draft of storyboards for the whole movie?  A month?  Say a month.  Say yes to a month."

Hey, he's my boss.  Of course I said "yes"!

So I spent a month doing a rough pass at storyboarding this movie, without benefit of any previsualization or concept drawings.  As with Spytroops, we again embarked upon animating a movie with a structure that wasn't like a relay race (where chronologically, the one stage of development was handed off to the next one in line), but more like a total race to the finish by all the departments, each throwing the 'relay bar' back and forth to each other along the way.

What I mean by that is, by the time I storyboarded the first pass, some of the set design concepts were well underway.  I would then have to adjust my storytelling to any previs that was developed.  Conversely, whatever I had storyboarded before any previs had been started, usually determined what the previs would look like, to accommodate my boards.  Invariably, storyboards still had to be tweaked & redone many, many times, over and over.  It was an incredibly frenetic, yet organized kind of perpetual chaos.

Here is the opening scene from GI Joe: Valor vs. Venom, in its completed form: 
I served as Storyboard Supervisor & I storyboarded about 75% of the final movie, with additional storyboards done by Kerry Gammill and producer Will Meugniot.  I made the mistake at one point of trying to do what I call the 'pretty' finished-looking storyboards (like what you see above), but our deadline just didn't allow for that.  At one point, I was producing several hundred storyboard frames a day.  Believe me, that can put some severe pain in your hand.